Monday, December 6, 2010

How Do You Know?

How do you know what is real or what you can trust?

The information highway - the Internet - flows with increasing access through nearly every fiber of our society.  How do you know which information to trust?  We could become jaded and believe and trust no one, but that seems extreme.  Snopes.com ( http://snopes.com/ )  was a great help until I lost faith in it, too.  As I've reconsidered today, I've decided that I can use Snopes as a tool.....  I can take what they say as one voice, one source.  I do not know the creators, but you can learn what they have posted online.   My husband says to Google anything and everything.  I always try to examine the credibility of the links, depending on the subject.  It isn't always easy to decide which links are worthwhile.  I am not sure how one becomes adept at spotting misleading or false claims, but I hope to be able to choose wisely.

Giving is such a good thing to do, but everyone wants money.  Some charities are worthwhile and use proceeds to truly benefit those they champion.  However, too many are either inept at managing the money or downright dishonest.  Rather than just giving to all or denying all, it seems prudent to be active in making sure that your donations will go to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment