Friday, July 22, 2011

Gospel Principles - Lesson 34 - Developing Our Talents

Before I even read this chapter, I am pleased to have brought to mind several ways I am developing my talents - even at my age.  I am taking piano lessons.  Finding time to practice is a huge issue, but I am progressing and that makes me feel awesome!  I went back to school and got a Master's degree and teaching credentials.  I am only working as a substitute teacher, but am sure that Heavenly Father directed me to go back to school for this purpose.  I think my willingness to follow through on this goal gave my children an example to follow.

There are other ways that I want to develop my talents.  However, making time and following through on the goals, hasn't been easy to do.  I discovered as a pre-teen that I loved making speeches.  Winning several contests confirmed that I had a talent in this area.  We enjoyed Toastmasters when we lived in Guam and Germany, but haven't followed up on joining a group here.  In church, the members are asked to give talks in our services.  We do not have paid clergy and the members are expected to share the teaching/preaching responsibilities on Sundays.  I've only been asked to give a talk three times in 20 years.  Some would wonder how to get the same privilege.  I don't want to seek to speak, either, but I do learn so much and enjoying speaking.  Over the years, I've made it a goal to just plan talks for my enjoyment....  I've yet to do this even one time...

In reading this chapter, another principle comes to mind...  By small things, great things shall be brought to pass.  I don't have time to do everything that I'd like every day. Consistently endeavoring to develop my talents, though has paid off through the years.  :-)  I love this motto from President Heber J. Grant in the middle of the lesson:  "That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing is changed, but that our power to do is increased."  (in Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Heber J. Grant [200], 35)

As I read the following paragraph, I found reason to repent and promptly did.  I am very grateful for the Atonement and God's patience with us.  My mistake wasn't rebellious or prideful, but merely misguided.  Misguided or not, it did take me out of His Will.  I am a tender-hearted person and Heavenly Father knows that about me because he made me.  :-)  Even in His correction, He was gentle and loving.  For me to always be that way with everyone would be such a blessing.  Here's the paragraph:

The Lord Will Bless Us If We Use Our Talents Wisely

President Joseph F. Smith said, “Every son and every daughter of God hasreceived some talent, and each will be held to strict account for the use or misuse to which it is put” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 370). talent is one kind of stewardship (responsibility in the kingdom of God). The parable of the talents tells us that when we serve well in our stewardship, we will be given greater responsibilities. If we do not serve well, our stewardship will eventually be taken from us. (See Matthew 25:14–30.)
I can't put into words all the understanding that I am gaining from this lesson.  It is so personal that I doubt it would make sense to anyone else.  Suffice to say that I am grateful and the lesson is written on my heart never to be forgotten.  If I can find the words, I'll record my thoughts and understanding in my journal.  I have a hardback journal in which I write (actually two for when I can't find one or want to take the smaller one with me).  I also have discovered an online free service that emails me every day to ask about my day and give me a glimpse at what I've written in the past.  If you'd like to find out more, go to https://ohlife.com/today

No comments:

Post a Comment