Saturday, November 6, 2010

Being Rescued

     I dropped kids off a school yesterday and drove on to the temple.  It was a bright, sunny, but cold morning.  I realized as I arrived at the temple that I was on empty.  We have a tool that tells you how much gas you have until empty....  Well, mine said 0!  I checked to see if Ed or James were available to rescue me, if I needed rescuing and went into the temple.  I decided if I needed to walk that it'd be warmer later and went in to do my work in the temple.  I generally don't let my tank get so low, but like buying cheaper gas in Missouri, especially at Sam's club where it is often 30 cents cheaper than we can get in town.  I said a prayer that I'd be able to make it to the gas station and went in....

     It was a cold, windy morning and walking in chilled me.  As I walked inside, I was welcomed warmly by the smiling faces and the physically warm entranceway.  I practice leaving my problems at the door, which must be automatic because I often don't even have to think about it.  If I find those thoughts crowding in, though, I mentally walk them back to the door and set them outside on the bench.  I was able to do ordinance work for a sister that shares Sarah's birthday.  I noticed several new faces among the ordinance workers, which made me think about how many more people will get the opportunity to serve with the opening of the Kansas City temple. Being so close to our temple and being able to go often is a choice opportunity that I treasure.

      As I left the temple, the cold wind hit me.  Requesting the nearest gas station on my GPS, I discovered that there was one in just over a mile.  All morning I had been praying to know what to do.  When it felt like driving to the gas station was the right thing to do, I prayed to make it there safely or to at least have a safe place to pull over to the side of the road.  Remarkably, I felt confident that all would work out even if I did run out of gas.   Reaching the Shell station was easy, though the van did seem like it was working harder to get there.

     I like to look at situations from lots of angle.... I guess I do it out of curiosity.  I knew God was with me and did not doubt his power in fixing my problem.  However, it was my problem and I wasn't so sure how it would play out.  When bad things happen, does that mean God isn't watching out for us?  I know one thing that I have found myself praying for more and more through the years is that I will be prepared for what is coming.  In the winter, I generally have winter gear stashed in the vehicle. If I am wearing a dress, I have sweats and/or warmer shoes in the car.  As I contemplated walking for gas, I knew I'd be cold.  Like once in Germany when our van broke down, I wasn't prepared for breaking down...  In Germany, we were rescued by a family that we kept in touch with for a long time afterwards. Many years even before that, we were rescued by grandparents and a grandson from West Virginia when we broke down in the desert in California.  After church our first Sunday in Illinois, we were rescued by a construction worker on Highway 50 within seconds of pulling over.  I had forgotten most of these experiences until I started writing this blog.

     I still didn't answer my question....  I know even through some of the hardest things I've done, I've felt God with me.  What is the saying about the rain falling on the just and unjust alike....?   I believe each of us are going to face horrible things in our lives.  If we live close to God and heeding his counsel and guidance, I know we will do better.  However, I am just as sure that we will have to handle hard, difficult things.  The difference is whether we do it with God or without God.  God is always there and always willing to comfort, to help, to shoulder our burdens.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment